Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Australia Day


Yesterday we had the day off because it was a public holiday, Australia Day.  Australia Day is somewhat similar to the Fourth of July, but on a smaller scale (ie no fireworks etc.).  I spent my first Australia Day at a BBQ in Rose Bay with a group of friends. Rose Bay is a suburb/neighbourhood near the Harbour in between Double Bay and Watson’s Bay. The day consisted of bbqing sausages (snags), drinking, swimming in Rose Bay and playing cricket. The apartment we were at backs up onto a cricket ground and rugby pitch so it was ideal for barefoot cricket.  I had the BEST time learning how to bat and bowl in cricket.  Everyone explained the basic rules to me and were impressed that I was not half bad (quite a surprise to me as well since I am rubbish at softball).  Although with cricket and the beach the other important Australia Day tradition is to listen to the Triple J Hottest 100 on the radio.  The countdown, which consistes of the previous year’s top song, starts at noon and goes until about 9pm.  This year Aussies cast 1.2 million votes for their favorite songs, which is a large number considering that the population is only 22 million.  The number one song was one of my favorite songs, “Big Jet Plane” by Angus and Julia Stone, who I posted about a few months ago.  All in all it was a pretty ideal holiday and Wednesday afternoon.   

No comments:

Post a Comment