Monday, February 28, 2011

Boomerang Beach and Seal Rocks


This past weekend I went up the coast to Boomerang Beach and Seal Rocks with my coworker Greta and her friends.  Boomerang Beach is about 4 hours north of Sydney.  One of Greta's friend's auntie's has a house that is about a five minute walk from the beach.  It is this awesome weekend house built that feels like a house on the Cape (Cod), but looks a tree house for grown ups because it's built on a big hill and supported by stilts that are about 30 feet or more tall.  Fifteen of us managed to cram into the beds and a few people slept in their VW vans.  We spent the weekend drinking Tooheys (which are a little better than Bud Lights), swimming, sunbathing, surfing and bbqing. We had two of the most beautiful beach days I've seen all summer. There heaps of great beaches along this part of the coast so the beaches are not too crowded, which is a nice change from beaches like Bondi where you have to fight for towel space.
A couple of the guys on their way to surf. 
The water was so clear.

Me at the beach
On Sunday we stopped at Seal Rocks on the way home to Sydney.  Greta's boyfriend Joel gave me my first surf lesson.  I had the BEST time! The waves at Seal Rocks were ideal conditions for beginners (according to Greta and Joel) because they were a decent size, but broke fairly softly against the shore, so if you nose-dived or fell off the board, you were not smashed too hard by the next waves.  I got up on the board a few times and only nose-dived at the beginning.  We spent an hour and a half learning how to catch waves.  My ribs a little sore today from not so gracefully hoisting my stomach onto the board over and over, but it is worth it!
Greta and me pre-surfing
Seal Rocks


1 comment:

  1. What a difficult life you are leading down under. Glad you're having so much fun.

    ReplyDelete